Nitrate, the most stable form of nitrogen in water, is found in both ground and surface water and originates from both natural and anthropogenic sources. Due to its high solubility in water, nitrate is not filtered out from groundwater like other contaminants. Removing nitrate or lowering nitrate concentration in source water is important as elevated levels in drinking water can cause serious health effects when ingested.
To ensure nitrate concentration is below compliance thresholds, blending of high nitrate source wells with low nitrate source wells is often carried out as an alternative to removal technologies. Monitoring at the source is essential for blending to determine and optimize ratios in addition to monitoring the blended water for compliance assurance.
• Quick and simple assessment of source water usability
• Optimize blending ratio on multiple source waters
• Assure quality of treated water
• Compliance with Nitrate MCLs
• Ensure public health and safety